Faculty as of January 15, 2014
J. Roger Jacobs
Joanna Wilson (Undergraduate)
Bhagwati Gupta (Graduate)
DISTINGUISHED UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR
Christopher M. Wood/B.Sc., M.Sc. (British Columbia), Ph.D. (East Anglia), F.R.S.C./Senior Canada Research Chair
Robert Baker/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (Alberta)
André Bédard/B.Sc. (Montreal), Ph.D. (McGill)
Ana Campos/B.A., M.A. (Rio de Janeiro), Ph.D. (Brandeis)
Patricia Chow-Fraser/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Waterloo), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Juliet M. Daniel/B.Sc. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Turlough M. Finan/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Galway), Ph.D. (Guelph)
G. Brian Golding/B.Sc. (Dalhousie), Ph.D. (Alberta)/Senior Canada Research Chair
John A. Hassell/(Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, Pathology and Molecular Medicine) B.Sc. (Brooklyn College), Ph.D. (Connecticut)
J. Roger Jacobs/B.Sc. (Calgary), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Jurek Kolasa/M.Sc., Ph.D. (Poznan)
Colin A. Nurse/B.E.Sc. (Western Ontario), Ph.D. (Harvard)
Michael J. O’Donnell/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
James S. Quinn/B.Sc. (Queen’s), M.Sc. (Brock), Ph.D. (Oklahoma)
C. David Rollo/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Herbert E. Schellhorn/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (North Carolina)
Rama S. Singh/B.Sc. (Agra), M.Sc. (Kanpur), Ph.D. (California-Davis)
Elizabeth A. Weretilnyk/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Alberta)
Jianping Xu/B.Sc. (Jiangxi), M.Sc. (Nanjing and Toronto), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Adalto Bianchini/B.Sc. (Federal University of Rio Grande, Brazil), M.Sc. (Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil), Ph.D. (Liege)
Gary Chiang/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Thomas A. Edge/B.Sc. (Guelph), M.Sc. (Ottawa), Ph.D. (Carleton)
Pierre Laurent/B.M. (Lille), L.S. (Nancy), Sc.D. (Sorbonne)
James S. Pringle/A.B. (Dartmouth), M.S. (New Hampshire), Ph.D. (Tennessee)
Glen Van Der Kraak/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Manitoba), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Robin K. Cameron/B.Sc. (Waterloo), Ph.D. (McGill)
Susan A. Dudley/B.Sc., M.Sc. (McGill), Ph.D. (Chicago)
Jonathan Dushoff/B.Sc. (Pennsylvania), Ph.D. (Princeton)
Marie Elliot/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Alberta)/Canada Research Chair
Ben Evans/B.S. (Tufts), M.S., M.Phil., Ph.D. (Columbia)
Bhagwati Gupta/B.Sc. (Banaras Hindu), M.Sc. (Jawaharlal Nehru), Ph.D. (TATA Institute)
Suleiman A. Igdoura/B.Sc. (Victoria), M.Sc. (Western Ontario), Ph.D. (McGill)
Grant B. McClelland/B.Sc. (Ottawa), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Jonathon Stone/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)/SHARCNet Chair in Computational Biology/Associate Director, Origins Institute
Joanna Wilson/B.Sc. (McMaster), M.Sc. (Victoria), Ph.D. (MIT/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Xu-Dong Zhu/B.Sc. (Nanjing), M.Sc. (Regina), Ph.D. (Toronto)
ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSORS
David A. Galbraith/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (Queen’s)
Patricia Gillis/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (Waterloo)
James C. McGeer/B.Sc., M.Sc. (British Columbia), Ph.D. (Dundee)
Rosa da Silva/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Kimberley Dej/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Johns Hopkins)
Chad T. Harvey/B.Sc. (Guelph), M.Sc. (Auburn), Ph.D. (Wisconsin-Madison)
Lovaye Kajiura/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Graham Scott/B.Sc. (McMaster), M.Sc., Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Sigal Balshine/(Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour) B.Sc. (Toronto) , Ph.D. (Cambridge) /Canada Research Chair
Reuven Dukas/(Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour) B.Sc. (Jerusalem) , Ph.D. (North Carolina State)
David Earn/(Mathematics & Statistics) B.Sc., M.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Cambridge)
Margaret Fahnestock/(Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences) B.Sc. (Stanford), Ph.D. (California-Berkeley)
Deda C. Gillespie/(Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour) B.Sc. (Yale), Ph.D. (California-San Francisco)
Ashok Grover/(Medicine) B.Sc., M.Sc. (Delhi), Ph.D. (Calgary)
Paul G. Higgs/(Physics & Astronomy) B.Sc., Ph.D. (Cambridge) /Senior Canada Research Chair
Hendrik Poinar/(Anthropology) B.Sc., M.Sc. (California), Ph.D. (Munich) /Canada Research Chair in Paleogenomics
Elyanne Ratcliffe/(Pediatrics) B.Arts Sc., M.D. (McMaster), F.R.C.P.C.
Henry Szechtman/(Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences) B.Sc. (McGill) , Ph.D. (Pittsburgh)
Notes Applicable to all Honours Biology Programs
- The department offers Honours Biology, Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization), Honours Biology (Origins Specialization), Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics, Honours Biology and Environmental Sciences, Honours Biology and Psychology, and Honours Biology and Mathematics programs, and two Co-op programs (entry at Level III). All options are suitable for students wishing to pursue graduate studies in Biology.
- Transfer between programs is possible, subject to satisfying the admission requirements and availability of space.
- Completion of PHYSICS 1B03 is strongly recommended in Level I as this course is a prerequisite for BIOLOGY 2A03 .
- There are Level II and III prerequisites for many Level III and IV courses. The prerequisites should be considered when choosing Level II and III courses.
- Students wishing to include more mathematical statistics may replace STATS 2B03 with 2D03 , 2MB3 . In this case, students are advised to register in MATH 1AA3 or 1LT3 in Level I.
- Admission to Honours Biology and Pharmacology (Co-op) requires completion of CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 . Students are strongly recommended to register in BIOLOGY 2A03 while registered in Level II.
- Students considering graduate studies in Biology are recommended to complete BIOLOGY 2L06 and either 4C09 A/B or 4F06 A/B .
B.Sc. Three-Level Degree
A three-level program with a general Life Sciences orientation is available through the B.Sc. in Life Sciences .
ProgramsBachelor of Science (Honours)Minor