Faculty as of January 15, 2014
Paul Murgatroyd/B.A., M.A. (Cambridge), Ph.D. (London)
Martin Beckmann/B.A. (Wilfrid Laurier), M.A. Ph.D. (McMaster)
Sean Corner/B.A., M.A. (Oxford), Ph.D. (Princeton)
Claude Eilers/B.A. (Saskatchewan), M.A. (McMaster), D.Phil. (Oxford)
Michele G. George/B.A. (Toronto), M.A., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Evan Haley/A.B. (Dartmouth), Ph.D. (Columbia)
Spencer Pope/B.A. (Middlebury College), Ph.D. (Brown)
Kathryn Mattison/B.A., Ph.D. (Toronto)
- Students in a Classics program may choose courses from the following subﬁelds: Ancient History and Society, Ancient Philosophy, Classical Archaeology and Art History, Classical Literature in Translation, Greek Language and Literature, Latin Language and Literature.
- With the approval of the Department of Classics and the Ofﬁce of the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, students who have completed 60 units of work of any Honours program in Classics may replace all or part of their Level III work by courses of study at a university or equivalent institution abroad. Consult the Department for further details.
- Students may receive up to six units of credit for archaeological ﬁeld work at an approved Classical site. Consult the Department for further details.
- Students are encouraged to include at least six units of Greek or Latin in their program. GREEK 1Z03 , 1ZZ3 and LATIN 1Z03 , 1ZZ3 , if not completed in the Level I program, may be taken to fulﬁll the degree requirements. Students intending to do graduate work in the ﬁeld of Classics should note that most universities offering such programs require several years of undergraduate work in both Greek and Latin for admission. These students are strongly encouraged to include Greek and Latin courses as early as possible in their program.
- Students intending to do graduate work in the ﬁeld of Classics may wish to include an independent study course (CLASSICS 4T03 A/B ) in the ﬁnal level of their program.
For the Honours Arts & Science and Classics program (B.Arts.Sc.), see Arts & Science Program .
Interdisciplinary Minor in Archaeology
See the Interdisciplinary Minors and Thematic Areas section of this Calendar.
ProgramsBachelor of Arts (Honours)Bachelor of ArtsMinor