Faculty as of January 15, 2014
ASSOCIATE CHAIR (GRADUATE)
Cliff Burgess/B.Sc. (Waterloo), Ph.D. (Texas), F.R.S.C.
Alan A. Chen/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Yale)
Hugh M. Couchman/B.A., M.A., Ph.D. (Cambridge)
Kari Dalnoki-Veress/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Guelph)
Bruce D. Gaulin/B.Sc. (McGill), Ph.D. (McMaster), Brockhouse Chair in the Physics of Materials
William E. Harris/B.Sc. (Alberta), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto), F.R.S.C.
Harold K. Haugen/B.Sc. (Acadia), M.Eng. (McMaster), Ph.D. (Aarhus)
Paul G. Higgs/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Cambridge), Senior Canada Research Chair
Takashi Imai/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Tokyo)
Catherine Kallin/B.Sc. (British Columbia), A.M., Ph.D. (Harvard), Senior Canada Research Chair
Graeme M. Luke/B.Sc. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Ralph E. Pudritz/B.Sc. (British Columbia), M.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
An-Chang Shi/B.Sc. (Fudan), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Illinois)
Alison Sills/B.Sc. (Western Ontario), Ph.D. (Yale)
Erik S. Sorensen/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Århus), Ph.D. (California-Santa Cruz)
David E. Venus/B.Sc. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Douglas L. Welch/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Christine D. Wilson/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (California Institute of Technology)
Nikolas Provatas/ M.Sc., Ph.D. (McGill)
Wytse Van Dijk/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Cécile Fradin/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ecole Normale Supérieure), Ph.D. (Paris VI), Canada Research Chair
Sung-Sik Lee/B.Sc. (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Pohang)
Duncan O’Dell/B.Sc. (Imperial), Ph.D. (Bristol)
Laura C. Parker/B.Sc. (Mount Allison), Ph.D. (Waterloo)
Maikel Rheinstädter/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Universität des Saarlandes)
James Wadsley/B.Sc. (Monash), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Karen Hughes/B.Sc. (Lakehead), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Neil McKay/B.Sc. (Queen’s), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Reza Nejat/B.Sc. (Tehran), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Missouri-Rolla)
Sarah L. Symons/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Leicester)
Itay Yavin/B.Sc. (York), Ph.D. (Princeton)
ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
Christopher R. Niebe/B.Sc. (Winnipeg), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Ken Sills/B.Sc. (Western Ontario), M.Sc. (St. Mary’s)
Jeffrey J. Hoyt/(Materials Science and Engineering) B.Sc. (Cornell), M.Sc., Ph.D. (California-Berkeley)
Jose M. Moran-Mirabel/(Chemistry and Chemical Biology) B.Sc., M.Sc. (ITESM-Monterrey, Mexico), Ph.D. (Cornell)
John S. Preston/(Engineering Physics) B.Eng. (McMaster), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto) P.Eng
Notes Applicable to all Programs Offered by the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- The Department offers the following programs:
- Honours Astrophysics
- Honours Biophysics
- Honours Physics
- Honours Physics (Origins Research Specialization)
- The Honours Physics, Honours Astrophysics and Honours Biophysics programs consistof a speciﬁed set of basic requirements and a wide choice of electives (including those from outside the Faculty of Science), allowing for interdisciplinary studies or the opportunity to complete a Minor in another subject. Students are encouraged to read the Program Notes of each program for a list of additional sets of courses which are appropriate preparation for graduate studies in Physics, Astronomy, or Biophysics.
- Transfer between options may be possible at any time, subject to satisfying the admission requirements.
- Admission to Honours Biophysics Co-op and Honours Physics Co-op is in Level III.
- A Minor in Astronomy is not permitted in the Honours Biophysics or Honours Physics program.
- Students wishing to take additional Level III, IV Mathematics courses should consider selecting MATH 2X03 and 2XX3 instead of MATH 2A03 .
B.Sc. Three-Level Degree
A three-level program with a Physics orientation is available through the Chemical and Physical Sciences (B.Sc.) .
ProgramsBachelor of Science (Honours)Bachelor of ScienceMinor