Faculty as of January 15, 2023
ASSOCIATE CHAIR (GRADUATE)
Laura C. Parker
ASSOCIATE CHAIR (UNDERGRADUATE)
Fiona E. McNeill
DISTINGUISHED UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS
Bruce D. Gaulin/B.Sc. (McGill), Ph.D. (McMaster), Brockhouse Chair in the Physics of Materials, F.R.S.C.
Christine D. Wilson/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (California Institute of Technology), F.R.S.C.
Cliff Burgess/B.Sc. (Waterloo), Ph.D. (Texas), F.R.S.C.
Soo Hyun Byun/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Seoul National University)
Alan A. Chen/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Yale)
Kari Dalnoki-Veress/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Guelph)
Cécile Fradin/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ecole Normale Supérieure), Ph.D. (Paris VI)
Paul G. Higgs/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Cambridge)
Takashi Imai/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Tokyo)
Sung-Sik Lee/B.Sc. (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Pohang)
Graeme M. Luke/B.Sc. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Fiona E. McNeill/B.Sc. (Edinburgh), Ph.D. (Birmingham)
Duncan O’Dell/B.Sc. (Imperial), Ph.D. (Bristol)
Laura C. Parker/B.Sc. (Mount Allison), Ph.D. (Waterloo)
Ralph E. Pudritz/B.Sc. (British Columbia), M.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Maikel Rheinstädter/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Universität des Saarlandes)
An-Chang Shi/B.Sc. (Fudan), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Illinois)
Alison Sills/B.Sc. (Western Ontario), Ph.D. (Yale)
Erik S. Sorensen/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Århus), Ph.D. (California-Santa Cruz)
James Wadsley/B.Sc. (Monash), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Douglas L. Welch/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
James Forrest/ B.Sc. (British Columbia), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Guelph)
Wytse Van Dijk/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Robert Wickham/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Chicago)
Christopher R. Wiebe/B.Sc. (Winnipeg), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Kevin Diamond/B.Sc. (Waterloo), Ph.D. (McMaster)
Hari Kunduri/B.Sc. (Toronto), M.Math., Ph.D. (Cambridge)
Reza Nejat/B.Sc. (Tehran), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Missouri-Rolla)
Patrick Clancy/B.Sc. (St. Francis Xavier), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Ryan Cloutier/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Robert Cockcroft/B.Sc. (University College London), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Eduardo Galiano-Riveros/B.S. (Rensselaer), M.S. (Wisconsin), Ph.D. (Texas)
Miranda Schmidt/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Guelph)
Sergey Sibiryakov/B.Sc. (Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology), Ph.D. (Institute of Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences)
ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSORS
Jovica Atanackovic/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Priscilla Dreyer/B.Sc. (McMaster), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Andrei R. Hanu/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Eric Johnston/B.Sc. (Queens), Ph.D. (McMaster)
Annika Lennarz/B.Sc., Diploma, Ph.D. (Münster)
Ryan Studinski/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Christopher Thome/B.MSc. (Western), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Jeroen Thompson/B.Sc. (Michigan), M.Sc. (Connecticut), Ph.D. (McMaster)
Christopher Wiebe/B.Sc. (Winnipeg), M.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Michael Farquharson/(Interdisciplinary Science) B.Sc.(Sussex), M.Sc. (Surrey), Ph.D. (University College, London)
Jose M. Moran-Mirabal/(Chemistry and Chemical Biology) B.Sc., M.Sc. (ITESM-Monterrey, Mexico), Ph.D. (Cornell)
Sarah Symons/(Interdisciplinary Science) B.Sc., Ph.D. (Leicester)
Robin Zhao/(Civil Engineering) B.Sc. (Waterloo), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Notes Applicable to all Programs Offered by the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- The Department offers the following programs:
- Honours Astrophysics
- Honours Medical and Biological Physics
- Honours Physics
- These programs consist of a speciﬁed set of basic requirements and a wide choice of electives (including those from outside the Faculty of Science), allowing for interdisciplinary studies or the opportunity to complete a Minor in another subject. Students are encouraged to read the Program Notes of each program for a list of additional sets of courses which are appropriate preparation for graduate studies in Physics, Astronomy, Medical Physics or Biophysics.
- Transfer between options may be possible at any time, subject to satisfying the admission requirements.
- Admission to Honours Medical and Biological Physics Co-op and Honours Physics Co-op is in Level III.
- A Minor in Astronomy or a Minor in Astrophysics is not permitted in the Honours Medical and Biological Physics or Honours Physics programs.
- Students wishing to take additional Level III, IV Mathematics courses should consider MATH 2XX3 .
B.Sc. Three-Level Degree
A three-level program with a Physics orientation is available through the B.Sc. in Chemical and Physical Sciences .
ProgramsBachelor of Science (Honours)Bachelor of ScienceMinor(s):