Sep 28, 2023
Enrollment in this program is limited and possession of the published minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion on any Level I program with a Grade Point average of at least a 5.0 including a grade of C or greater in POLSCI 1AB3 (or 1G06 A/B). Students are strongly encouraged to complete POLSCI 1AA3 and GLOBALZN 1A03 in Level I (See Note 5 below). For continuation in the program, see Minimum Requirements for Entering and Continuing in a Program Beyond Level I.
- Students should be alerted to those Levels II and III courses that are required to qualify for a number of Level IV courses. Students who wish to enter courses but who lack the necessary prerequisites must obtain the permission of the instructor.
- POLSCI 2NN3 , 3NN3 and POLSCI 2O06 A/B are required for students enrolled in Honours Political Science programs and they are recommended for students in the B.A. program.
- Students may take a maximum of 12 units of Level IV Political Science and will be removed from any excess units of Level IV Political Science unless permission is granted by the Department. Additional units of Level IV Political Science may not be used as electives.
- POLSCI 4Z06 A/B may be selected if topic relates to Global Citizenship.
- Students who have not completed POLSCI 1AA3 or GLOBALZN 1A03 in Level I should do so by the end of Level II.
- Certified International Experience: Students in the Global Citizenship Specialization may apply for the optional Certified International Experience (CIE) to be completed at a partner University in the United Kingdom. Upon completion of this international exchange opportunity, students will receive a formal “parchment” from the partner university as well as a notation on the completed courses that will appear on their McMaster transcript. Completion of the CIE will also satisfy the “study abroad” component of the Global Citizenship Experiential requirement. Students may contact the Global Citizenship program advisor for details on the application process.
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which 48 units may be Level I
- the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program (See Admission above.)
Global Citizenship Experiential requirement
One term abroad taking equivalent of 9 units from courses similar to those on Global Citizenship Course List and 9 units from the Global Citizenship Level III Course List
Two terms abroad taking 18 units of courses similar to those on the Global Citizenship Level III Course List
POLSCI 3WP3 and 15 units from the Global Citizenship Level III Course List
- From the Global Citizenship Level IV Course List
- Electives, of which no more than 6 units may be from Political Science
Global Citizenship Level III Course List
Global Citizenship Level IV Course List