Feb 21, 2024
Enrolment in this program is limited.
- As places in the Honours Integrated Science program are limited to approximately 60 students, admission is by selection, and possession of published minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- All Level I Honours Integrated Science students may be asked to complete an online orientation course prior to the start of classes in September. The course will serve to review and consolidate material covered by the secondary school math and science curriculum and will be especially valuable to those who have not completed one of Grade 12 Biology U, Chemistry U or Physics U.
- WHMIS 1A00, a one-hour mandatory on-line Introduction to Health and Safety course, is a co-requisite to ISCI 1A24 A/B and must be completed prior to the ﬁrst lab.
- BIOSAFE 1BS0, a mandatory on-line introduction to bio-safety lab training, is a co-requisite to ISCI 1A24 A/B and must be completed prior to the ﬁrst lab.
- Beginning at Level II, Honours Integrated Science students may complete a concentration in one of the following areas:
- Chemical Biology
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Medical and Biological Physics
- Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
- Sustainable Chemistry
Level I Honours Integrated Science students are encouraged to review the specific program requirements of all concentrations they are considering in Level II (https://science.mcmaster.ca/sis/undergraduate/isci/isci-home.html). In addition to the content covered within the ISCI courses, completion of a concentration normally requires a minimum of 24 units in the other subject.
- Honours Integrated Science students, completing a concentration, are eligible to obtain a maximum of one minor, provided that the subject area is not integral to the requirements of the concentration. Honours Integrated Science students not completing a concentration may be eligible for up to two minors provided that, for each minor, at least 12 units (above Level I) are elective to the degree. All students should consult the Academic Program Advisor.
- Honours Integrated Science students may not proceed to the next level unless a Grade Point Average of at least 5.0 has been achieved and all required courses for their current level have been successfully completed including:
- Level I students must successfully complete all discipline-specific components of ISCI 1A24 A/B before proceeding to Level II and enrolment in ISCI 2A18 A/B.
Level I students who fail one or two discipline-specific components of ISCI 1A24 A/B may have the opportunity to successfully complete equivalent courses before proceeding to Level II and enrolment in ISCI 2A18 A/B.
Level I students who fail more than two discipline-specific components of ISCI 1A24 A/B may not continue in the program. Such students may apply to transfer to a program for which they qualify.
Level II students must successfully complete all discipline-specific components of ISCI 2A18 A/B or make up any failed course work prior to proceeding to Level III and enrolment in ISCI 3A12 A/B.
Level III students must successfully complete all discipline-specific components of ISCI 3A12 A/B prior to proceeding to Level IV and enrolment in ISCI 4A12 A/B.
Students who have successfully completed the required ISCI courses and whose Grade Point Average is between 4.5 and 4.9, may remain in the program but will be placed on Program Probation for one reviewing period. Students may be on Program Probation only once during the program.
The University reserves the right to grant admission to a limited number of students and to refuse readmission to any student whose academic performance or general conduct has been unsatisfactory, or who has withdrawn from the program for a period in excess of one academic year.
- Electives (See Program Notes 5 and 6 above.)