Feb 21, 2024
Program has been renamed Honours Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences (B.Sc.).
Students who enrolled prior to September 2021 are given the choice to remain in Honours Biology and Environmental Sciences or transfer into Honours Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences.
Honours Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences is a ﬂexible program that enables students to obtain an understanding of how a variety of organisms are able to adapt to their changing environments at the community and ecosystem levels. Offered jointly by the Department of Biology and the School of Earth, Environment & Society, this program enables students to select courses according to their interests; to develop broad knowledge, and understanding of the linkages between biodiversity and environmental processes; and to apply these to questions of biological, biomedical, or environmental interests. This program prepares students for graduate studies, careers in industry or academic research laboratories.
Students are strongly recommended to take CHEM 1A03 and 1AA3 in Level I.
Completion of any Level I program with a Grade Point Average of at least 5.0 including:
from the following courses, where an average of at least 6.0 (between the courses) is required
from the following courses, with a grade of at least C+
- The Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences program allows students (especially those focused on ecology and conservation) to choose Biology and Environmental Science courses that reﬂect their own interests. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their course selections with an academic program advisor in the Department of Biology or the School of Earth, Environment & Society.
- Prerequisites for upper year courses must be checked carefully when selecting courses in Level II. Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry prerequisites exist in many upper year biology courses. Students are encouraged to take six units from CHEM 2E03, 2OA3, 2OB3 (or CHEM 2OC3, 2OD3, 2OG3).
- Students interested in completing a thesis may take one of BIOLOGY 4C12 A/B S, 4F06 A/B S or EARTHSC 4MT6 A/B in Level IV, subject to meeting the prerequisites. Students considering graduate studies are recommended to complete a thesis course.
- Only one of BIOLOGY 4C12 A/B S, 4F06 A/B S or EARTHSC 4MT6 A/B may be completed as part of the program requirements. Completion of EARTHSC 3RD3 in Level III is required preparation for EARTHSC 4MT6 A/B.
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which no more than 48 units may be Level I
(See Admission above.)
- Course List 1 or Course List 2
- Levels III, IV courses from Course List 2
- Levels III, IV Biology, Molecular Biology courses