Sep 23, 2023
- MATH 1B03 must be completed by the end of Level II. Completion in Level I is strongly recommended.
- Students seeking admission to the program should note that Math 1A03 and 1AA3 were designed for Chemical & Physical Science Gateway students and Math 1LS3 and 1LT3 were developed for Life Sciences or Earth & Environmental Sciences Gateway students. Math 1A03 and 1AA3 prepare students for a wide variety of upper year math courses. Math 1LS3 and 1LT3 prepare students for many (but not all) upper year mathematics courses. As a result, students who take Math 1LS3 and 1LT3 are permitted to enroll in upper year courses, but some self-study of first year calculus topics (such as series and additional integration topics) may be required.
Enrolment in this program is limited and possession of the published minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a Grade Point Average of at least 5.0 including:
from the following courses, where an average of at least 6.0 (between the courses) is required
from the following courses, with a grade of at least C+
- Students may seek academic advising for this program in either the Department of Mathematics and Statistics or the Department of Biology.
- Completion of MATH 1B03 (or 1ZC3 ) is required by the end of Level II. Completion in Level I is strongly recommended.
- While not required for this program, PHYSICS 1A03 , 1C03 , CHEM 1A03 , 1AA3 and one of CHEM 2BA3, 2E03 , 2OA3 , CHEMBIO 2OA3 are prerequisites for many courses in Biology.
- Students who wish to complete MATH 4MB3 must complete MATH 3F03 . Students are advised to check requisites carefully when choosing Level II and III courses.
- Many of the courses in the Course List have additional prerequisites. Students are advised to check the Course Listings section of this Calendar.
- Students considering graduate studies in Biology are recommended to complete BIOLOGY 4C12 A/B S or 4F06 A/B S . Students taking BIOLOGY 4C12 A/B S or 4F06 A/B S may be supervised by faculty from the Department of Mathematics & Statistics as long as they are co-supervised by faculty from the Department of Biology.
- Students considering graduate studies in Mathematics are strongly recommended to complete MATH 3GR3 , 3NA3 , 3X03 , 4A03 , 4GR3* and 4MB3 .
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which no more than 48 units may be Level I
(See Admission above.)
from the following courses, if not completed in Level I
- Course List
(See Program Note 5 above.)
- Levels III, IV Mathematics, Statistics, Biology, Molecular Biology courses
which must include one of