Faculty as of January 15, 2022
Gillian R. Goward
Giuseppe Melacini (Chemical Biology Graduate Studies)
Peter Kruse (Chemistry Graduate Studies)
Paul Harrison (Undergraduate Studies)
DISTINGUISHED UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR
Michael A. Brook/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (McGill)/Science Research Chair in Sustainable Silicone Polymers
Alex Adronov/B.Sc. (McMaster), Ph.D. (California-Berkeley)
Paul W. Ayers/B.S. (David Lipscomb), Ph.D. (North Carolina-Chapel Hill)/Canada Research Chair in Theoretical Chemistry, F.R.S.C./Undergraduate Advisor
Paul J. Berti/B.Sc. (Waterloo), M.Sc. (Ottawa), Ph.D. (McGill)
John D. Brennan/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)/Canada Research Chair in Bioanalytical Chemistry
Philip Britz-McKibbin/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
David J.H. Emslie/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Bristol)
Gillian R. Goward/B.Sc. (McMaster), Ph.D. (Waterloo)
Peter Kruse/Dipl. Chem. (FSU-Jena), Ph.D. (California-San Diego)
Yingfu Li/(Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences) B.Sc. (Anhui, China), M.Sc. (Beijing Agr.), Ph.D. (Simon Fraser)
Jim McNulty/B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Giuseppe Melacini/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Milan)
Yurij Mozharivskyj/B.Sc., M.Sc. (Lviv State), Ph.D. (Iowa State)
Kalaichelvi Saravanamuttu/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McGill)
Harald D.H. Stöver/B.Sc. (Darmstadt), Ph.D. (Ottawa)
John F. Valliant/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Ignacio Vargas-Baca/B.Sc., M.Sc. (UNAM), Ph.D. (Calgary)
Gregory Chass/B.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Szeged)
Alfredo Capretta/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Randall S. Dumont/B.Sc. (Western Ontario), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Paul H.M. Harrison/B.A. (Oxford), Ph.D. (Alberta)
Philippa Lock/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Nathan A. Magarvey/(Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences) B.Sc. (Dalhousie), Ph.D. (Minnesota)
Jose M. Moran-Mirabal/B.Sc., M.Sc. (ITESM-Monterrey, Mexico), Ph.D. (Cornell)/Canada Research Chair in Micro- and Nanostructured Materials
Saman Sadeghi/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Ryan Wylie/B.Sc. (Concordia), Ph.D. (Toronto)
ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Darren Brouwer/B.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Katherine Bujold/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McGill)
Lydia Chen/B.Sc. (British Columbia), Ph.D. (Alberta)
Anthony Chibba/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Sharonna Greenberg/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Sarah Styler/B.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)/Canada Research Chair in Atmospheric Chemistry
ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSORS
Andrea Armstrong/B.Sc. (New Brunswick), Ph.D. (Calgary)
Karl Jobst/B.Sc., Ph.D. (McMaster)
Dawn M.E. Bowdish/(Pathology and Molecular Medicine) B.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Jakob Magolan/(Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences) B.Sc. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (Western Ontario)
Anthony F. Rullo/(Pathology) B.Sc. (McMaster), M.Sc. (Guelph), Ph.D. (Toronto)
Greg Slater/(Earth, Environment & Society) B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Notes Applicable to all Honours Programs in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- The Honours programs consist of a specified set of basic requirements and a wide choice of electives, allowing for interdisciplinary studies or the opportunity to complete a Minor. Honours Chemistry, Honours Chemical Biology and Honours Sustainable Chemistry are also available as five-year co-op programs, with entry beginning at Level III.
- In some cases there are Level II and III prerequisites for Level III and IV courses. The prerequisites should be considered when choosing your Level II and III courses.
- Students are encouraged to seek academic advising from the Departmental Undergraduate Advisor (email: email@example.com).
- Certain Level IV courses are offered in alternate years. Students are advised to consider course offerings carefully in planning their course selection for Levels III and IV.
- The Honours Chemistry, Honours Chemistry Co-op, Honours Chemical Biology and Honours Chemical Biology Co-op programs fulfill the academic requirements of the Canadian Society for Chemistry.
- CHEM 3RP3 and CHEMBIO 3RP3 provide the opportunity for students to integrate a one term work/research experience into an elective course. CHEM 3EP3 A/B S and CHEMBIO 3EP3 A/B S allow students to participate in an experiential placement. Further details may be obtained from the Undergraduate Advisor, in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CHEM 4G12 A/B and CHEMBIO 4G12 A/B offer a senior thesis research experience. CHEM 4RP6 A/B S and CHEMBIO 4RP6 A/B S offer a more limited research experience, without a presentation or formal thesis.
Notes Applicable to all Honours Chemistry Programs
- McMaster’s Honours Chemistry program is structured such that part of the laboratory experience in the conventional sub-disciplines of organic, inorganic, physical, and analytical chemistry is obtained through two integrated laboratory courses that are distinct from the lecture courses - CHEM 2LB3 in Level II and CHEM 3LA3 in Level III. This program provides in excess of 55 hours of “Organic Chemistry” laboratory experience. The Level III course focuses on more advanced skills.
- For those considering postgraduate studies in Chemistry, it should be noted that 18 units of Level IV Chemistry or related subjects are required for consideration for admission at McMaster and most graduate schools in Canada. CHEM 4G12 A/B is strongly recommended.
- BIOCHEM 2EE3 or any Biochemistry course that has a Biology course as the prerequisite are an acceptable alternative to BIOCHEM 3G03 . CHEM 4IB3 or a Level III or IV Chemical Biology course are also acceptable substitutes providing these units are taken as elective to the Honours Chemistry program requirements.
- CHEM 3PC3 is recommended for all Chemistry students, but not required for students who complete MATH 1B03 (or 1ZC3 ) in either Level I or II and who complete one of MATH 1AA3 , 1LT3 , 1XX3 (or 1ZB3 ) in Level I.
- CHEM 4G12 A/B cannot be taken concurrently with CHEM 3LA3 or CHEM 3RP3 given the time commitment required for the Senior Undergraduate Thesis.
B.Sc. Three-Level Degree
A three-level program with a Chemistry orientation is available through the B.Sc. in Chemical and Physical Sciences .
For Honours Arts & Science and Sustainable Chemistry (B.Arts.Sc.) see Arts & Science Program
ProgramsBachelor of Applied ScienceBachelor of Science (Honours)Minor(s):