Sep 22, 2023
Enrolment in this program is limited and possession of the published minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a Grade Point Average of at least 5.0 including:
from the following courses, where an average of 7.0 (between the courses) is required
from the following courses, with a grade of at least B-
from the following courses, where an average of at least 7.0 (between the courses) is required
- Academic advising for this program is shared by the Departments of Biology and Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour. Information may be obtained through the Undergraduate Advisors in the Life Sciences Building, Room 118 or Psychology Building, Room 109.
- The Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour pre-registration ballot will include the thesis courses (PNB 4D06 A/B , 4D09 A/B ) and Independent Research and Library courses (PNB 3Q03 A/B S , 3QQ3 A/B S , 4Q03 A/B S , 4QQ3 A/B S , 4QQ6 A/B ). Students wishing to take these courses must complete and submit a ballot by mid February. Ballots can be obtained from the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour web site at www.pnb.mcmaster.ca.
- Students who have not obtained the minimum Grade Point Average as stated in the prerequisite of one of BIOLOGY 4C12 A/B S , 4F06 A/B S , PNB 4D06 A/B or 4D09 A/B may request a requisite waiver from the Undergraduate Associate Chair of the Department. Students denied permission may not continue in the program and must apply to transfer to Honours Biology or Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour and apply to graduate with a Minor in the alternate subject area.
- Both PNB 2XD3 , 2XF3 are highly recommended but not required. PNB 2XD3 is included in the Psychology Course List and may be used towards the Level III Psychology requirements.
Psychology Course List
- HUMBEHV 3MD3 - Research Methods for Applied Psychology in Human Behaviour
- LIFESCI 3BB3 - Neurobiology of Disease
- LIFESCI 3E03 - Reproductive Endocrinology
- LIFESCI 3K03 - Neural Control of Human Movement
- LINGUIST 2PS3 - Psycholinguistics
- LINGUIST 3C03 - Child Language Acquisition
- LINGUIST 3NL3 - Cognitive Neuroscience of Language
- MUSICCOG 2MP3 - Introduction to Music Cognition
- all Level III and IV MUSICCOG courses
- NEUROSCI 3J03 - Visual Neuroscience
- NEUROSCI 3SN3 - Neural Circuits
- PNB 2A03 - Python for PNB
- PNB 2XD3 - Integrative PNB Through Scientific Writing
- PSYCH 2MP3 - Introduction to Music Cognition
- all Level III and IV PNB courses
- all Level III and IV PSYCH courses (PSYCH 2AA3 , , , , 2E03 , 2GG3 , 2NF3 , , , , , , 3CD3 may only be used as elective credit.)
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which no more than 48 units may be Level I
(See Admission above.)
- Levels III, IV Biology or Molecular Biology courses, which must include at least three units of Level IV
- the Psychology Course List (See Program Note 4 above.)
- the Biology Course List or Levels III, IV from the Psychology Course List (including at least nine units from the Biology Course List and at least nine units of Levels III, IV from the Psychology Course List)
and which must include one of
from the following courses, if not completed in Level I
- Electives (See Program Note 4 above.)
Students who entered the program prior to September 2019 may refer to their Academic Advisement report or contact an Academic Advisor in the Office of the Associate Dean of Science (Academic) for program requirements.